The Virtual Users Page¶
The Virtual users page lets you list and create Virtual Users. It is the landing page of each project, but also accessible through a click on the left Virtual users menu.
A Virtual User (shortened VU) represents a user journey through your application. It lets you simulate a real user behavior.
For each VU, the list displays:
- Type of VU (JMeter, WebDriver or Test Fragments),
- Description or if empty, the contents of the VU,
- Tags of this VU,
- Last modified date.
Virtual Users list actions¶
Several actions are available when you place your mouse over a Virtual User in the list:
|Edit metadata||Edit VU metadata||Change the VU name, description and tags.|
|Duplicate||Duplicate VU||Duplicate your VU.|
|Copy||Copy VU to another project||Copy this VU to another project. See dedicated section below.|
|Download||Download VU||Download the JMeter JMX file corresponding to this VU.|
|Delete||Remove VU||Remove a VU. This operation cannot be reverted so proceed with caution.|
The search functions are detailed in this section of the navigation page.
Create Virtual User¶
To create a new virtual user simply click on the Create virtual user button.
You are then prompted with several options:
Website or REST API
- From Website URLs: enter the website addresses you would like to test,
- From REST API URLs: enter the Rest API URLs you would like to test,
- Selenium Web Driver: enter a JMeter WebDriver script to simulate a real-browser interactions.
- Import Chrome HAR: import web browser Http Archive,
- Import Fiddler / Charles Proxy / Firefox HAR: import Http Archive generated by Fiddler or Charles Proxy or FireFox (or any other browser),
- Import JMeter JMX: import an existing JMeter project,
- Import Postman collection: import an existing Postman collection,
- Fragments VU are a special kind of virtual user that cannot be executed. Their actions are meant to be shared using Link Actions.
We strongly recommend to record your web application using Fiddler or FireFox as they also record response contents.
Edit Virtual User¶
This screen allows you to rename your VU or change tags and description.
HAR is an abbreviation for Http Archive:
The HTTP Archive format or HAR, is a JSON-formatted archival format for logging of a web browsers interaction with a site. The common extension for these files is .har.
Copy Virtual User¶
This action allows you to create an exact copy of your virtual user in another project.
The transfer is completed once you click on the project name in the list of projects.
Because a virtual user can be related to some Files, conflicts with the remote project may happen. For example when a required file already exists in the target project. These conflicts can be handled through the copy options:
|Required||We will try to assess which files are required for this VU to properly function. Note that files referenced in script actions or other dependencies may be difficult to locate.|
|All||In case the
|Skip||This option will handle conflicts with identical file names in the target project by skipping the copy.|
|Overwrite||This option will handle conflicts with identical file names in the target project by overwriting the destination files.|
The default settings are made to be less intrusive since we will only try to copy required file with no overwrite in the remote project. Be careful because other options can lead to breaking changes in the remote project.
Remove Virtual User¶
The following procedure explains how to remove a virtual user and all of its content:
- Go on the design page,
- Place your mouse over the VU you want to remove,
- Click on the Delete button that appears on the far right,
- Click on Confirm to confirm the deletion.
Deleting a VU cannot be reverted, proceed with caution. Linked elements like variables and servers will not be removed since they could be used by other VUs.